An 83 year-old man who died in a house fire in South Uist has been named.
William Hanks was within the property when emergency services were alerted to the
incident at around 5.40pm on Wednesday.
He was taken from the building but had died.
A young couple who reside in the property were not at home at the time.
Three fire crews from Benbecula and Lochboisdale fought the flames.
Four firefighters donned breathing sets to get closer to the blaze using water jets
to extinguish the fire.
It is understood the roof was threatening to cave in, adding to the potential danger
faced by firefighters.
Much of the property had collapsed with only one compartment left standing, said
the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
The cause of the fire is still a mystery.
It was too dangerous to enter the property so fire investigators have had to wait
to commence an assessment of the house.
Detective Inspector Richard Baird said: "Enquiries are ongoing into the circumstances
and a comprehensive examination of the scene by specialists from the Scottish Fire
and Rescue Service and Police Scotland is taking place today after work was carried
out to ensure the building is safe to enter."
"I would like to thank the local community
for their patience while emergency services attended this tragic incident.”
thoughts are with Mr Hank's family at this difficult time.”