1. The election of Trustees under Deed of Trust by the Right Honourable William Hesketh,
Viscount Leverhulme of the Western Isles, dated 12th November, 1923, and Registered
in the Books of Council and Session on 21st January, 1924, as the said Deed of Trust
was amended (i) by a Scheme of Administration approved by the Lords of Council and
Session by Decree dated 7th January and extracted on the 12th day of June both in
the year 1928; (ii) in terms of the Stornoway Trust Order Confirmation Act, 1975,
and (iii) by Decree of the Lords of Council and Session dated 30th November, 1993,
will take place on 27th March 2018.
2. The number of persons to be elected as Trustees is five.
3. All persons who appear in the electoral register in respect of addresses within
the area of the Trust estate and who are not subject to any legal incapacity at the
date provided for are entitled to vote in the election.
4. Any two persons, who themselves would qualify as Trustees, may nominate as a candidate
any person not subject to any legal incapacity, who is qualified as an elector and
who owns or occupies property within the area of the Trust estate at the date of
nomination by sending to, or delivering at, the Office of the Trust, Leverhulme House,
Perceval Square, Stornoway, before 4 pm on 6th March 2018, a nomination paper. Nomination
Papers can be had at the office to the Clerk to the Trust here. The Nomination paper
must be dated and signed by two persons nominating, and by the candidate nominated,
or some other persons duly authorised in that behalf and must contain the names in
full, places of abode and designations of the two persons making the nomination,
and of the candidate nominated. On receipt of a nomination paper, the Returning
Officer may require candidates to produce such evidence that they are the owners
or occupiers of property within the areas of the Trust estate as the Returning Officer
in his sole discretion shall consider satisfactory and failing the Returning Officer
being so satisfied, he shall reject the nomination.
5. Any candidate may be withdrawn by notice of withdrawal given to the Returning
Officer at the Office of the Trust, Leverhulme House, Perceval Square, Stornoway,
not later than 4 pm on 13th March 2018, provided that no such withdrawal shall be
competent when its effect would be to reduce the total number of persons nominated
for election below the number of persons to be elected as Trustees and provided also
that such notices shall have effect in the order in which they are delivered. The
notice of withdrawal must be signed by the candidate or some other person duly authorised
by him/her in that behalf.
6. As soon as possible after the date mentioned in the preceding regulation, a list
will be published of the candidates nominated and not withdrawn, giving the full
names, places of abode, and designations of such candidates.
7. In the event of the election being contested, voting shall be a postal ballot
with those eligible to vote being sent a ballot paper to return by post.
8. The deadline for receipt of postal votes shall be noon on 27th March 2018.
9. For those unable to return their ballot paper by post before the deadline, a ballot
box shall be available in the Estate Office from 8.00am to 8.00pm on 27th March 2018.
10. Each Elector may give one vote and no more for each of any number of candidates
not exceeding the number to be elected. A BALLOT PAPER IS INVALID ON WHICH [a] a
cross is placed opposite the names of more than the number of candidates to be elected;
or [b] it cannot be determined for which candidate or candidates the vote is recorded;
or [c] any mark is placed by the voter by which he/she may afterwards be identified.