Contact newsdesk on:

Classified adverts   I   Jobs                               

Small Ads & Local Services    


Hebrides News


Two fishermen present when a man was allegedly set on fire were “agitated and nervous” while quizzed by a relative, a court has heard.


Iain Gillies suffered major burns with a tenth of his body injured.


He spent weeks in Glasgow Royal Infirmary after being airlifted from Barra in June 2014.


John Christie, 31, of Barra, denies spraying a flammable substance on Mr Gilles’ head and body, then igniting the substance which burnt him to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.


A jury trial at Lochmaddy Sheriff Court previously heard Mr Gilles was a “big ball of flames.”


His sister, Catherine Beaton, said he was in “quite a bad way” when she saw him later that afternoon in St Brendan’s Hospital in Barra.


His lips and face were swollen and he was upset, she said during her evidence.


Mr Gilles was crying and told her in Gaelic, “tha an t- eagal orm (I am frightened), she told procurator fiscal, Karen Smith.


She went to see Christie to try and find out what happened and there was another man there with him, she said.


She “didn’t believe” Christie when he said Iain had burnt himself.


“They seemed kind of agitated and nervous and the two of them were talking at the same time.”


Mrs Beaton told the fiscal: “They said they found him on the floor like that.”


Giving evidence, forensic scientist, Laura Wilcox, told the fiscal there was burn damage around the crotch and zip area of Mr Gillies’ jeans.


She used a cigarette lighter to test the fabric and concluded: “It was a naked flame burn damage” applied by a larger flame than from a lighter and for longer than five seconds.


Ms Wilcox told the defence lawyer she did not examine any aerosol canister in connection with the case.


In the witness box, Mary Sarah Campbell said she saw Mr Gillies lying on the floor.


She told the fiscal: “John said there was something wrong with Iain’s arm.


“He said he might have fallen over in his own house.”


Ms Smith asked: “Were the men doing anything?”


“No. They were just standing there,“ she replied.


The trial before Sheriff Chris Dickson continues.


Forensic scientist, Laura Wilcox, gave evidence

Pair “agitated” after man was allegedly set on fire

16 February 2017