Contact newsdesk on:

Classified adverts   I   Jobs                               

Small Ads & Local Services  


Hebrides News



Potentially toxic blue-green algae has been found at Loch a Bhaile in Shawbost, Lewis.


As a precautionary measure, notices have been posted next to the loch, warning that contact with the algal scum should be avoided.


Some blue-green algae sometimes results in adverse medical effects.

Effects on people coming into contact with toxic scums include skin rashes, eye irritations, vomiting and diarrhoea, fever and pains in muscles and joints.

Toxic algae sometimes cause deaths of livestock and dogs.

The actions currently taken are precautionary.

Adjoining landowners and fishing interests have been advised of the situation as have the Environmental Health section of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, SEPA Stornoway Office and NHS Western Isles.

Warning over algae in loch

20 July 2017